- I get all the news I need from the weather report. – Paul Simon. This probably makes me a bad person, but over the last year or two I have found myself more and more often actively turning away from the news; and when I do turn on NPR or pick up the paper, I just get overwhelmed with all the crap that we’re doing to each other and to the planet and have to switch off.
- It occurred to me the other day that Doctor Who is more [edited to add: consistently] concerned with the transformation of the human than any work I can think of since the ancient Greeks [edited to add: and Romans] (who were rather obsessed with the subject, to judge by the surviving writings. Metamorphoses, anyone?) The Cybermen are the most obvious example, of course, but there are several others I can think of as well. I’d love to follow up and expand on this thought, but I probably won’t.
- Happy Vesak! Today is the day that many Buddhists around the world are celebrating the Buddha’s birth, enlightenment and achievement of Nirvana. I’ll celebrate by going to Aikido training tonight, since O-Sensei was partly inspired by Buddhist teachings, and if I have a chance afterwards I will try to fit in a short meditation session. Or I may just work (mindfully, of course!) on the new piece I’m making for my Quan Yin shrine. (I’ll post a picture when it’s finished, promise…)
- I will have a couple of pieces appearing in the forthcoming Persephone devotional from Neos Alexandria; submissions are being accepted through the end of August, so you have plenty of time to join me! (Details at the link)
- Tim at The Juggler makes me really, REALLY want to go people-watch at the next Bats Day at Disneyland.